Hawaiian coleslaw is a refreshing side dish for any meal. This Hawaiian coleslaw recipe features the best dressing on earth: Hawaii’s own teriyaki sauce! The ingredients come together to make a delicious, tangy, and sweet slaw that will delight your taste buds. Best of all, this Hawaiian coleslaw recipe is easy to prepare and only takes 10 minutes!
What Ingredients do You Need?
– green cabbage, chopped or shredded (about one pound)
– carrots, grated (optional; about one cup)
– red bell pepper, sliced thinly and cut into short strips (optional but not necessary; about half a pepper)
– green onions, chopped (optional; about one tablespoon)
How to Make Hawaiian Coleslaw?
Step One: In a large bowl, mix together the shredded cabbage and carrots. If you want extra veggies in your slaw, add in some sliced bell pepper too!
Step Two: In a small saucepan or skillet over medium heat, warm up one cup of teriyaki sauce until it is slightly bubbling (about two minutes). Be careful not to let the sauce burn.
Step Three: Pour the warm teriyaki sauce over the veggies and mix until they are all coated evenly (you can use a spoon or clean hands to mix it up). Let sit for five minutes before serving so that flavors meld together!
Step Four: Garnish with fresh green onions and serve.
How to Serve Hawaiian Coleslaw?
Put this tasty side dish on your next meal! It can be served as a salad course or on top of some teriyaki tofu for an extra boost. Either way, it’s delicious and healthy fun food that you’ll crave more than chocolate (okay maybe not more than chocolate).
Tips for Making Hawaiian Coleslaw:
If you are short on time, use store-bought teriyaki sauce to save some effort! Just make sure that the brand is all-natural and free of preservatives so it’s as healthy as possible.
- If you are looking for an extra creamy consistency, add half a cup of low-fat mayonnaise to the slaw! It will help absorb all that delicious teriyaki flavor and make it even yummier.
- Do you want to make this coleslaw in advance? It’s best when prepared right before eating, but you can prepare it up to two days ahead of time. Just store the teriyaki/veggie mixture separately from any other dressing or sauce so that it doesn’t get soggy!
Should You Add Mayonaisse?
- add half a cup of low-fat mayonnaise. It will help absorb all that delicious teriyaki flavor and make it even yummier!
- don’t add in any dairy because the sauce is creamy enough on its own! Just mix together until everything is coated evenly.
Adding Teriyaki Sauce
In a small saucepan or skillet over medium heat, warm up one cup of teriyaki sauce until it is slightly bubbling (about two minutes). Be careful not to let the sauce burn.
Pour the warm teriyaki sauce over the veggies and mix until they are all coated evenly (you can use a spoon or clean hands to mix it up). Let sit for five minutes before serving so that flavors meld together!
What are Different Types of Coleslaw?
There are a variety of different types of coleslaw depending on what country you’re in. Coleslaw is generally made with shredded cabbage and carrots, but there’s no limit to the number of different veggies that can go into it! In Australia, they add corn kernels to their slaw for an extra crunchy texture.
Is KFC Coleslaw Unhealthy?
No, KFC coleslaw is not unhealthy. It’s the mayonnaise in it that makes it so rich and creamy! KFC coleslaw is delicious on its own or on top of some pulled pork or fried chicken.
Is Coleslaw Good for Your Gut?
Coleslaw is definitely good for your gut because it has such a low-fat content. It is a great, healthy alternative to other traditional sides like mac and cheese or mashed potatoes!