Do you love einkorn cinnamon rolls? Many people enjoy the flavors but are intimidated by making einkorn bread. Well, no need to worry! Making einkorn cinnamon rolls is easy once you know how to do it. In this article, we will share with you our step-by-step guide on how to make your own einkorn cinnamon rolls.
Ingredients Needed for Einkorn Cinnamon Rolls:
- cinnamon (you can also use einkorn honey for this recipe)
- unsalted butter or ghee softened at room temperature
- baking powder
- einkorn milk or water
- baking soda solution ( you can use the first ingredient of this list to make a baking soda solution)
- coconut sugar or einkorn honey
- vanilla extract
Steps to Follow When Making Einkorn Cinnamon Rolls:
First of all, you need to make sure that the dough is not too sticky. Otherwise, the cinnamon rolls will not be fluffy and soft like they should be! So make sure to add enough flour when mixing all of the ingredients together.
Next, you need to knead by hand or using a stand mixer until smooth and elastic (it usually takes about ten minutes for this step).
When the dough is ready, split it into two equal halves and roll each half into a rectangle shape.
After that, spread softened butter or ghee on top of these dough rectangles and sprinkle with cinnamon (and honey if you want). Then, carefully roll them lengthwise to form logs.
Finally, cut einkorn cinnamon rolls into half-inch pieces and arrange them on a baking sheet.
How to Make the Dough:
- In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add salt and mix thoroughly to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut in butter until it resembles a coarse meal with some larger pieces of fat remaining (about the size of dried lentils). You can also use ghee in this recipe for einkorn cinnamon rolls.
- In a separate bowl, beat milk and vanilla extract together with an electric mixer until foamy (about one to two minutes).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix using your hands or a wooden spoon just until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough because this will make it tough and difficult to work with when making cinnamon rolls.
- Transfer dough onto a well-floured surface, roll out into a large rectangle (about 12 by 18 inches in size), and spread butter evenly over dough.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over the entire rectangle of dough (do not sprinkle the inside rectangle).
- Starting at the long end closest to you, roll up tightly like a jellyroll until it forms a log.
- Using dental floss, cut dough into one-inch-thick cinnamon rolls and place them on parchment paper or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Rolling out the Einkorn Cinnamon Rolls:
- Lightly flour einkorn surface and rolling pin. Place the einkorn cinnamon rolls log on top of this surface, then roll into a 12 by 18-inch rectangle (about ¼ to ½ inch thick).
- Spread evenly with softened butter or ghee. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon mixture over the dough (do not sprinkle inside rectangle).
- Roll towards you into a tight log then cut it evenly with dental floss.
How to Bake Einkorn Cinnamon Rolls:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Place cinnamon rolls in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. This is how to make baked goodies with einkorn flour!
Can You Reheat Them?
You can reheat einkorn cinnamon rolls in the einkorn oven or microwave. They are also delicious when served cold right out of the refrigerator!
Can You Eat them for Breakfast?
Yes! Einkorn cinnamon rolls are a great breakfast option. To make them even healthier, try using milk instead of regular cow’s or goat’s milk and use honey as the sweetener.
Eating Einkorn Cinnamon Rolls for Breakfast:
Some people like to eat einkorn cinnamon rolls for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- If you eat einkorn cinnamon rolls for breakfast, make sure to include fresh fruit (like berries), veggies (like spinach and tomatoes), and lean protein like egg whites in your morning meal as well. This will keep you full longer!
- Einkorn cinnamon rolls are desserts, so try them with a glass of milk for an extra nutritious start to your day!
They’re Also Great as Dessert:
- Baked goods can be eaten any time of the day. They make great snacks and you can even have cinnamon rolls for dessert.
- If you’re serving einkorn cinnamon rolls for snacks or desserts, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and top with warm caramel sauce! This is the perfect treat after dinner when you want something sweet to eat but don’t need a large portion.
- Einkorn cinnamon rolls are einkorn desserts, so try them with a glass of einkorn milk for an extra nutritious start to your day!
How Can You Serve Einkorn Cinnamon Rolls?
Einkorn cinnamon rolls are delicious when served either hot out of the oven or cold from the refrigerator. Serve them with milk, tea, or coffee. You can also pair baked goods like einkorn cinnamon rolls with a side of fruit for an extra treat!
What about leftovers? Leftover einkorn cinnamon rolls can be kept in the refrigerator and enjoyed cold or reheated in the oven. You can also freeze them and heat them up whenever you want!
You should try einkorn cinnamon rolls with milk, honey, or coffee for a unique twist on your regular breakfast routine! And don’t forget to experiment with different types of e.g pumpkin rolls, banana bread, or blueberry muffins!
Yum! These homemade einkorn cinnamon rolls look amazing and they are so easy to make with this simple recipe. I can’t wait to try them out myself next time I bake some treats for my family in the oven!
Why is Einkorn Flour Sticky?
Einkorn flour can sometimes be sticky. This is because contains more moisture than regular einkorn or wheat flours. If you are having trouble with your einkorn baked goods being too moist, try adding an extra ¼ cup of flour to any recipe that calls for dough to make bread dough.
Why Did my Cinnamon Rolls Turn out Dense?
Dense baked goods can be caused by over-mixing dough. Make sure to only mix bread dough until it comes together and no longer sticks to the sides of your bowl. Over einkorn flouring the countertop when shaping rolls is another common cause for dense treats that don’t rise as much. Try kneading bread dough on a floured surface and rolling einkorn cinnamon rolls with a very light touch to keep them from becoming too dense.
Is All Purpose Einkorn Flour Healthy?
No einkorn flour is not healthy. Einkorn all-purpose flour contains additives that are unhealthy for people with allergies and intolerances. If you want to enjoy baked goods, try using white whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flours like this recipe recommends.